How to Successfully Grow Blue Daze Evolvulus
How would you love to have blue daze? not blue days but blue daze as apart of your garden and landscapes, these garden beauties can brighten your day with their beautiful flowers though small which can be an eye-catcher adding to the overall design of your landscape and gardens.
The blue daze evolvulus flowering plant is native to Paraguay and Brazil. This perennial beauty is evergreen and a member of the morning glory family. Another name for the blue daze is the dwarf morning glory.
Blue daze is a tropical plant that produces gray leaves that are fuzzy in appearance with bright blue flowers that bloom from mid-summer through mid-fall. The flowers of blue daze are short-lived but don’t let that give you a blue day because what’s so surprising is that though the flowers are short-lived it is replaced by another beautiful flower bloom the following day which is so unique.
This garden beauty can reach heights of 12 inches with a width of 2-3 ft and grows well in zones 8-11. For more on the growth and care of blue daze stick around as we take a closer look as the blue daze brightens your days.
For those beautiful flowers, bloom install your blue dazes in an area that gets full sunlight.
What I love about these hardy plants is that they can survive in a range of soil providing that the soil type has good drainage because blue daze does not like wet feet.
The soil should be somewhat moist and not waterlogged which can lead to root rot.
Because of its ability to produce flowers it is best to use fertilizers that will encourage flower bloom. 5-30-5, 2-8-4 0r 15-30-15. Before applying fertilizers read and follow the manufactures direction on the label for best results.
Garden insect pest of blue daze
There are not really any pest issues with this flowering plant.
Diseases of blue daze
1. When it comes to disease the only mean issues are fungal problems because of long periods of rain or soil that is poorly drained which can cause deterioration and death of blue daze.
2. Give blue daze the proper spacing for air circulation because if crowded can also lead to fungal issues.
Ideas where to install blue daze
Here are just a few places to install your blue daze
1. Install blue daze in containers and place the containers on either side of your door entrance.
2. Place blue daze in containers and position these containers on your porch or patio.
3. Plant around your pool area.
4. Install blue daze as a border plant in your garden.
5. What about planting them in a circle around the truck of your trees providing sufficient sunlight can get to them.
6. Place them alongside your garden walkway.
7. Install blue daze alongside your fence.
8. Alongside your wall is a great spot to install these summer beauties.
Container grown blue daze
A great way to grow blue daze is in containers, container gardening is so great because with these garden types you can always move the container from one location to the next meeting the plant’s requirements along with protecting plants from the elements when it is not favorable.
When choosing a container the container should be large enough to accommodate your blue daze. The container should also have drain holes to allow excess water to find a way of escape once you have water your plant.
As mention earlier the blue daze is a hardy perennial which can thrive in about any soil type providing that the soil has good drainage. However, when growing from a container a good garden soil will help your blue daze to absorb the right amount of water but will allow excess water to drain through.
The container should be placed in an area that gets full sunlight also follow the above instruction that will keep your blue daze growing healthy and vibrant.
Growing blue daze from hanging baskets
Gardening above the ground with the help of hanging baskets, blue daze grows well from hanging baskets and can be mounted in areas that will bring that color bloom. When installing blue daze in hanging baskets ensure that the hanging baskets have drain holes.
The use of good garden soil that has good drainage will work wonders. Once your blue daze is installed give sufficient water, water until it begins to drain from drain holes once the water stops draining mount your hanging basket from your porch or other structure where it is visible to be enjoyed.
keep in mind however that these garden beauties love full sunlight so give them what the need. With a hanging basket, you will be gardening above the ground utilizing that extra space and filling it with beauty.
Pruning blue daze
What I love about pruning is that this procedure will give you a plant that is fuller with more flower bloom. Pruning will also control the height and the direction in which your plant grows and help it to maintain its natural form. So pruning your blue daze back a bit will help to keep its luster.
1. To avoid frost damage overwinter your blue daze by bringing them indoors.
2. The use of a hand pruner is a must
3. Your hand pruner should be sharp and in good repair.
4. Blue daze is a ground cover.
5. The blue daze is self-cleaning meaning spent flowers will fall to the soil’s surface.
6. Adding peat moss or organic matter around the planting bed will improve the health of your blue daze.
7. Blue daze will bloom 10 months out of the year but will give longer bloom periods in warmer climates.
Flowering plants combinations with blue daze
Do you want a colorful garden then try these color combinations? Remember to give your garden plants sufficient space when installing for proper growth and air circulation.
4. Mexican Heathers.
9. Shrimp Plant.
The final word
The use of blue daze in your garden and landscape can work wonders, their blue flowers can really bring that much-needed change. Blue daze is not fussy as we have seen and is so easy to care for. Brighten your blue days with blue daze that is sure to rock your world with its beauty bringing that much-needed flavor.